Secretary 2 Medical Staff Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown
Company: Bon Secours Mercy Health
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
This is a collective bargaining position.
The mission of Mercy Health is to extend the healing ministry of
Jesus by improving the health of our communities with emphasis on
people who are poor and under-served.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Secretary, under the direction of the Manager is responsible
for the overall clerical functioning of the Oncology Unit, performs
general and specific clerical duties, scheduling and receptionist
duties associated with administrative and nursing functions of the
- High School Diploma/GED
--- Typing and dictation transcription proficiency.
- Experience in clerical functions, medical record completion
requirements, and transcribing orders.
- Completion of medical terminology courses.
- Computer literacy.
--- One year previous experience working in specialty area.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Follows detailed written and oral instructions.
Completes specific, routine tasks.
Requires basic reading, writing, and simple arithmetic skills.
May operate basic equipment/machinery.
--- Problem Solving/Decision Making:
Makes decisions by reviewing defined alternatives.
Receives assistance from standard procedures, coworkers, and/or
--- Scope of Impact/Accountability:
Impact is generally focused on intermediate work area. May also
affect closely related activities in other work units or
on a temporary basis.
Influence is indirect and supportive in nature.
Accountability is restricted.
Activities are usually assigned by others.
--- Interpersonal Communication:
Interactions are generally brief and informal.
Requires common courtesy.
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Performs receptionist activities including but not limited to:
coordinates incoming, outgoing and intradepartmental
communications; handles customers requests.
2. Receives, opens and routes incoming correspondence, files
laboratory and diagnostic information.
3. Maintains organized file system for patient related, educational
and administrative data.
4. Creates, maintains and organizes patient charts.
5. Takes minutes of meetings as required.
6. Accurately transcribes, letters, reports and other
communications as required.
7. Utilizes the computer to prepare, process and maintain memos,
letters, reports, inventories, statistics and other requirements as
8. Copies materials and assists in the preparation and organization
of audio visual needs for educational purposes such as lectures,
10. Initiates and submits requests for Administrative approval and
action regarding travel, professional dues, books and material
11. Collects, organizes and submits monthly statistics.
12. Maintains a detailed and complete activity calendar on a daily,
weekly and monthly basis
regarding all Oncology Unit activities.
13. Maintains medical record. Initiates intake procedure for new
patients; obtains information required for the patient chart (i.e.
biopsy reports, consultations, laboratory information, x-ray
reports). Communicates with referring physicians office to obtain
appropriate hard copy data for the chart.
14. Maintains and updates all active patient charts.
15. Assures that appropriate insurance information is obtained and
works with the Patient Accounting Department and Physician Billing
to have correct data including CPT and ICD-9 codes.
16. Initiates and completes all travel arrangements for
conferences, seminars, etc.
17. Calls patients with special needs to confirm appointments prior
to date of appointment.
18. Maintains physician's schedule (office hours, operations,
conferences, meetings, lectures, travel and administrative
19. Prepares copies of chart, patient data for hospital admission
(including H&P, key laboratory work, clinical diagrams,
pathology reports and other designated information).
20. Maintains inventory of all office and clinical supplies and
orders replacement material as needed.
21. Initiates and follows up on maintenance work orders.
22. Participates in staff meetings and other department meetings as
23. Coordinates clinical data collection via fax, printers, mail
and tube system; assures that documentation is placed on chart
and/or distributed to appropriate staff.
24. Transcribes physician's orders accurately as delegated by
25. Performs computer orders/entry function.
26. Provides friendly assistance to patients, family members and
27. Answers phone courteously and respond to caller's needs.
28. Observes universal precautions.
29. Accurately enters patient charges and visit notifications into
30. Registers new patients accurately; obtain appropriate patient
information i.e. demographic and insurance information, completes
JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES - Other:
1. Performs limited patients care activities.
2. Transports ambulatory/wheelchair patients as directed by the
3. Assists with daily cleaning of the department.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary
of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of
this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related
tasks other than those stated in this description.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
FACILITY: Mercy Health
JOB TITLE: Clerical/Secretary
NOT AT ALL
Walking: 2.3 mph, 0 incline
Unilateral Horizontal Reach 0-18"
Unilateral Vertical Reach 36-72"
Bilateral Carry 30', 25#
Push/Pull 100', 19ft. lbs.
Hold 200# patient sidelying while doing procedure x 2 min.
Roll 200# patient away/toward self
Transfer 105# person chair-chair 5x/hr. with gait belt
Bed-cart transfer with 200# person and assist of one with sheet
More 200# person up in bed with assist of one and sheet
Lift 0-25# 6"-36" from floor
Lift 0# 6"-36" from floor
Lift 0-25# 36"-48" from floor
Lift 0-25# 6"-72" from floor
Bilateral fine motor manipulation
Functional near, far, color vision aided or unaided
Functional hearing aid or unaided
Functional verbal communication skills
Working from heights
Operating machines: (2hand(s))
Operating machines: (2foot/feet)
Keyboarding & CRT usage:
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We'll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Days (United States of America)
Medical Staff Affairs - St. Elizabeth
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or
protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on
the basis of disability. If you'd like to view a copy of the
affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health -
Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg,
Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and
Equal Opportunity Employer, please email . If you are an individual
with a disability and would like to request a reasonable
accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please
contact The Talent Acquisition Team at
Keywords: Bon Secours Mercy Health, Youngstown , Secretary 2 Medical Staff Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown, Administration, Clerical , Youngstown, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!