Service Center Clerical Support-FT
Company: Ward Trucking
Location: Grove City
Posted on: September 15, 2023
JOB TITLE: Customer Service Associate / Clerical Support /
REPORTS TO: Service Center Manager
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To ensure the customer is always serviced first
and receives the type of attention that makes them want to do
business with Ward. To grow our business through customer retention
while balancing costs by performing clerical duties efficiently. To
support operations and sales in accordance with service center's
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Customer Service Responsibilities (all apply)
- Answer telephones in accordance with Ward standards using
applicable marketing greeting.
- Every morning review Report FRR333 - Non Credit Report. The
report is used to look for billing errors, cash only customers and
determine if a shipment can be charged.
- Call all customers on Report FRR067P - DRC/COD Payments Not
Picked up at Delivery informing them of our payment terms. All
calls should be recorded on the freight bill.
- Serve customers by coordinating problem resolution between
customers, territory sales managers, and operations personnel.
Resolve problems in a timely manner, enter information in the
Customer Feedback Log, communicate resolution to all parties
involved and check customer satisfaction level with the way it was
- Expedite and trace shipments, correct errors in freight
billing, provide rate quotes as requested by customers. Coordinate
expedited service when necessary through Customer Service Manager
or Customer Service Supervisor.
- Direct calls on O S & D issues from customers and / or P & D
drivers to the service center's O S & D Specialist or assigned back
up person using guidelines provided by Customer Service
- Support service center driver / sales huddle plans as well as
local business development plan.
- Process customer requests for pickups, proof of delivery, bill
of lading in a timely manner.
- Provide internal customer service to personnel from other
service center locations. Clerical Support Responsibilities
(highlight all that apply)
- Create daily P & D driver delivery manifests with speed and
accuracy so as not to delay drivers from beginning their run on
- Schedule delivery appointments for freight on a daily basis,
properly note appointment time/date on delivery receipts and
accurately and promptly enter delivery appointment information into
- Order supplies for the service center keeping sufficient
quantities on hand.
- Accurately perform clerical support duties as required
including typing correspondence, maintaining files, photocopying,
- Enter delivered status on interline bills daily to show that
freight was given to an interline carrier.
- Prepare stripping manifest and update bills for selected
customers and / or partners.
- Proficiently assist dispatcher when necessary with computerized
- In a timely manner, accurately create stripping manifests for
dock use to route freight to appropriate service center. Understand
importance of using correct customer account number when creating
stripping manifest, accuracy reflected on audit score. Understand
and correctly use projected delivery date coding and customer
bucket segmentation codes.
- Promptly arrive drivers, tractors and strips trailers in the
computer so that equipment is ready to be re-entered for use.
- Check in P & D drivers promptly and with accuracy disseminating
- Count, verify and place cash in safe place when checking in
drivers. Attach COD checks to corresponding delivery receipt to be
sent in to Altoona. Verify checks, list separately on cash report
and put in safe place. Accurately prepare cash settlement sheets
and bank deposit slips.
- Enter all deliveries into the computer, along with delivery
exceptions, customer signature, time in and out, and amount of
- Fax bills to Central Billing Department on a timely basis and
be available to answer questions that central billers may have
- Accurately create billing for locals, specialty bills, and
those that cannot be faxed for various reasons so that they are
done early enough for dock workers to handle.
- Copy bills of lading for Revenue Accounting as needed and send
them in daily so that customers can be billed promptly with the
documentation they require.
- Prepare linehaul manifests to dispatch linehaul drivers. All
linehaul driver envelopes are to include: trailer number, Pro
number of one shipment on the trailer, road driver's name, tractor
number, seal number, weight, driving (route) instructions and any
hazardous placards that may be required (if applicable). All
linehaul driver envelopes should contain a copy of the stacking
report, road manifest (if available) and any packing slips that
accompany shipments on the trailer.
- Demonstrate personal reliability by consistently meeting
attendance / punctuality commitments.
- Cooperates with others and willingly puts forth effort to
achieve Company goals. Establishes and maintains good working
relationships with other team members. O S & D Accountabilities:
- Daily checks all stripping manifests from previous day for any
overages or shortages. - If over or short, does a freight bill
inquiry for any exceptions posted at the
destination service center.
- Checks original bill of lading to verify number of pieces
- If short, calls shipper to see if freight was left on shipper's
- If over, calls shipper for corrected bill of lading.
- Daily enters correct codes for pickup exceptions from the
previous day in Truck Check Entry screen of computer.
- Daily clears all O S & D freight brought back by the drivers
the previous day. All freight put in designated O S & D area and
labeled either as "Over Freight" using white label or as "Driver
Return" using green label
- Accurately complete Daily Dock Checks and confer with dock
supervisors regarding any distressed freight. Research of
- Daily checks inbound road manifests for exceptions. Clears all
exceptions, misloaded freight, etc.
- Posts daily Truck Check Entry by 11:00 AM.
- Checks delivery receipts from the previous day for notations. -
If over / short, calls consignee for description of freight.
- Clarifies any vague notations on delivery receipts with P & D
- Investigates all high value shortages of $200.00 or more
- Daily contacts shippers for disposition of refused freight.
Issues On Hand forms for shipments with no resolution available and
copies to Claim Department.
- Arranges third party inspections for damaged refusals estimated
or stated to be valued at $200.00 or more.
- Daily reviews the "late shipment" and "clears"
- Daily reviews the "no freight" report and "clears"
- Issues APB's for missing freight and to identify mystery
- Reviews daily PCIR report and clears or reviews service center
failures. Reports to manager on accurate and inaccurate findings
- Cut free astrays, revenue bills, salvage bills, dump bills as
needed to complete shipments.
- Enter weekly dock checks for freight with no resolution.
- Notifies Safety Department for damaged freight of a hazardous
nature which may need professional removal.
- Enter notes in system of steps taken on distressed shipment
- Forward information on claim related issues to manager for use
in identifying employee and customer issues and meeds for use in
action steps and meetings. Claims Evidence:
- Communicate daily with P & D drivers reporting overages,
shortages, damage. Note information from driver accordingly in O S
& D log and assign O S & D log number to driver for notation on
delivery receipt in question.
- Supports Claim Prevention processes and special projects
- Orders and maintains sufficient supply of all colored O S & D
labels and make them easily accessible to driver and dock
- Fully support all technologies and processes, introduced by
Ward, that are intended to improve efficiencies and/or the customer
experience. Support would include adherence to training programs,
guidelines and processes associated with these systems. Job
- Must be customer focused with good people skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills and basic knowledge of
- Must have previous clerical experience in a business
- Proficient data entry skills with attention to detail.
- Previous experience in the motor carrier industry is
- Ability to work required hours (night shift, overtime if
applicable) and travel if necessary.
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive
list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or
working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended
to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the
right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks
be performed as circumstances change.
Keywords: Ward Trucking, Youngstown , Service Center Clerical Support-FT, Administration, Clerical , Grove City, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!